Greensboro Wrongful Death Lawyers Pursue Compensation for Bereaved Loved Ones
North Carolina attorneys handle cases involving fatal negligence
If someone you love has died due to the misconduct or negligence of another party, you might be entitled to obtain legal relief through a wrongful death action. Located in Greensboro, the lawyers of Hodgman, Rowlett & Jahnes, P.A., work to secure compensation that surviving family members deserve after a tragic loss. Our North Carolina attorneys have the training, experience and ability to handle your case capably so you don’t have worry about whether your rights are being protected while you go through the grieving process. As your legal counselors, we’re available to answer your questions and will take the necessary legal measures on behalf of estate representatives in litigation and informal discussions.
Common causes of fatalities that lead to wrongful death cases
In Greensboro, Burlington, Asheboro, Lexington, Eden, High Point, Winston-Salem and the surrounding areas, our firm represents clients in wrongful death cases arising from:
- Vehicle accidents — As accomplished car and truck accident lawyers, we work to investigate the causes of fatal vehicle collisions, bringing in subject matter experts when warranted. We’re also familiar with the special considerations that apply when someone dies while using public transportation.
- Medical malpractice — Doctors and other health care providers that don’t conform to professional standards can commit lethal harm by making a surgical error, prescribing the wrong medication or failing to make a proper diagnosis when symptoms represent themselves.
- Unsafe premises — When someone dies on someone else’s premises, the property owner’s carelessness might have been a factor, such as when a hazard is not cleared or security is inadequate.
- Nursing home neglect and abuse — Elderly people in nursing homes are vulnerable and might not survive if they are neglected or victimized by abuse.
- Workplace accidents and illnesses — If an employee dies due to an accident on the job or a longstanding problem that triggers a fatal illness, benefits are available to survivors through workers’ compensation coverage. Wrongful death damages might also be available if a third party was responsible for the fatality.
- Defective products — Faulty products such as vehicle parts, medical devices and pharmaceuticals could pose a deadly risk. We take action against negligent manufacturers.
By serving as trustworthy advisers and advocates, we strive to relieve some of the burden on bereaved clients and work diligently to achieve a result that offers some financial comfort.
Who can file a wrongful death claim?
North Carolina law mandates that the personal representative of the deceased victim’s estate must file a wrongful death claim. If the decedent failed to name someone as executor of their estate, the court can appoint a family member to take that legal role. Cases must be filed within two years of the fatality. If someone you love has been lost due to someone else’s carelessness or intentional act, it’s important to remember that the statute of limitations runs out earlier in these matters than in personal injury cases.
What types of compensation are available?
Though no legal recourse can truly make up for the loss of a loved one, we explain the types of damages that are recoverable in wrongful death actions. By filing a suit against liable parties, plaintiffs can collect payment to account for funeral and burial costs, income that the victim would have earned over the course of their lifetime and compensation for the companionship and household services that were lost. Courts also award damages for medical bills incurred and pain and suffering experienced by the decedent before they died.
Contact a North Carolina lawyer for a free consultation regarding a wrongful death claim
Hodgman, Rowlett & Jahnes, P.A. in Greensboro advises estate representatives and surviving family remembers on North Carolina wrongful death litigation. Please call 336-609-7593 or contact us online to schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation. Se habla español.